Apertures are moved vertically in extruded mode

Hi guys

Has this issue been solved yet?

I just tried to export a large model, where the gap problem occured in some areas, while it didn’t in others. As I’m working on a large model, it will be super time consuming to adjust the height of each zone manually in IES.

When using the XXX option, the “gap problem” is solved, but the windows area separated from the building body. Also, I have pitched roofs/ceilings in some of my zone, so the extruded export isn’t ideal in my case

Hi @labrosse,

We have yet to come up with a solution here. It is more of a discussion of what is the best approach than how to implement it. I had a similar conversation with @amirtabadkani just a couple of days ago. Let me ask you too. How would you want this gap to be modeled? As a plenum? Do you want it to be added to the space below? Basically, extrude the bottom space? Should we do it automatically or do you want to be able to overwrite the value?

For now, the easiest approach is to export the model to Rhino and use the Rhino plugin’s MoveFace command to move them up. I understand that it is not an ideal workflow and puts Rhino between Revit and IES but it is a quick solution until we provide something better in Revit.

That looks like a bug! Can you share your model with us for testing? Thank you.

cc: @ksobon

Okay, I figured as much.

As we are working with IES, I think that the easiest solution is if the zone would extend from upper edge slab to upper edge slap. In other words, extruding up rather than extruding down. This is the general modelling approach for IES. I have never worked with plenums before, so I can’t say whether that’s a feasible approach, but I would guess that this would create problems in terms of thermal mass, if you use inner volumes for your simulations, which we always do.
We often use bare concrete slabs as means of passive cooling. But when I built up a slab/ceiling construction, the room volume is decreased according to the slab thickness, which would skew my results. Hope my explanation makes sense haha.

Using both the Revit and the Rhino plugin would be a very pricey solution - Don’t think my section manager would be fond of that idea :sweat_smile:
Would it maybe be possible to export the BEM to SketchUp? IES has a plugin for SketchUp, which allows you to export GEM files. So while modelling in IES isn’t flexible (AT ALL!!), fixing the room height manually in SketchUp could be a work around until you guys find a good solution.

Sure! I will send it in a DM, so that our projects aren’t shared with the whole world :wink:
Thanks guys!

Hi @labrosse! Thank you for sharing the model. This is now fixed in version 2.76.4.

1 Like