Daylight recipe issue for visualization of the results

Hi all,

Has anybody had problem with visualizing the results after running current annual radiation (0.1.8) or annual irradiance (0.3.13-viz) recipes locally. Even though the simulation ran successfully, I m not able to visualize the results in the end.

Log file:
logs.log (292.8 KB)

Simulation Results Folder

Surprisingly, when I try to run the same simulation on cloud, it throws a quite generic error.

Thanks,
Levent

We did fix this workflow recently. Can you have a look Mingbo? Hopefully, this will be the last time before we start using the VisualizationSets for recipes.

Hi @mostapha,

These outputs are just folder-type outputs and they don’t have any output alias for Rhino. They only have an alias for Grasshopper.

Hi, @mingbo! Thank you for looking into this. I imagine the same handler should work in Rhino if you try to add rhino to the list.

Since this can happen for other recipes and while we are transitioning all the visualization workflows to VisualizationSet is it possible to add a new component to Pollination Grasshopper that bakes the results as Rhino results grid to the Rhino document? That way Rhino users can use the Grasshopper components to load the results and then back the results to Rhino as a Pollination Rhino native object.

Hi @mostapha,

The Pollination Grasshopper natively support loading local studies:

I also added a new helper item to the right-click menu so that users don’t have to type strings into the panel.

Great! That solves half of the problem. The other part is to be able to bake those results as an analysis mesh (do I use the right term here? I know we rename this a few times).

The latest Grasshopper component outputs a VisualizatoinSet, and there is a component to bake it but it will be baked as a colored Rhino mesh which is not editable.

My suggestion is to add a similar component to that comes with the Rhino plugin and allows the object to be baked as an editable analysis mesh.

2 Likes

FYI, @mostapha .

That LBT component bakes the VisualizationSet with all of the values attached to the AnalysisGeomtery as Rhino UserData. So, if the Rhino plugin is installed, it should be able to sense this and automatically convert it into the editable legend of the Rhino plugin. I imagine that the only reason why this doesn’t happen right now is that we have to trigger the Rhino plugin to search through the baked geometry if we want it to be converted into an editable Pollination legend.

All of this is to say that we may not need a whole new Pollination component and, if @mingbo can give me a .NET method I can call to trigger the Rhino plugin to search for the AnalysisGeometry when it’s baked, I can have that LBT component call that method upon baking. This way, people get an editable AnalysisGeometry if they have the Rhino plugin installed but they get a static one if they don’t.

Thank you, @chriswmackey! That makes sense and I thought about that but this is one of those cases that it feels we should create a clean separation between LBT and Pollination.

Hi @hlkocalioglu,

@mingbo added a new component to Pollination that allows you to bake a VisualizationSet from Grasshopper to Rhino. That should allow you to load the results from Grasshopper and bake them to Rhino until we add the proper handler for these recipes for Rhino.

1 Like

Hi @mostapha - Thanks for looking into this. I wasn’t able to load results through VisualizationSet, since I couldn’t see and understand how to get required values from the run folder. (Apparently, I need to do something to translate those outputs into correct format.)

However, when I did set up below workflow and run the simulation through the annual irradiance component, I was able to see the results in Rhino.

Thanks,
Levent

Hi, @hlkocalioglu - @chriswmackey will follow up with a better example but for now, you can use any of the annual components from honeybee-radiance results tab to load the results.

You can download and connect the results folder to these components and get the values for visualization.

1 Like

Hey @hlkocalioglu ,

I took a closer look at your screenshots and, while those component @mostapha cited with help load up hourly irradiance results, it looks like the actual component that you are missing is the PO Load Assets component.

That’s the one that will either download the results and/or parse them. And this will work well for the avg_irr, peak_irr, and radiation outputs of the component there. Here is a sample:

load_results_sample.gh (18.9 KB)

3 Likes

Hi @chriswmackey, thanks for your prompt action. This is working great!

Levent

2 Likes

Is there a solution for vizualising the results on Revit or on the Cloud as it can be done for the adaptive comport map for instance?

Thank you.

Hey @nathanaeltz ,

As long as you use the -viz version of a recipe, it will produce a 3D visual output (.vsf file), which you can preview on the web. We are working towards better integration of the .vsf file natively in Revit but, in the meantime, the .vsf file on the web should give you what you need without having to open Rhino/Grasshopper.