Pollination Glazing Materials Problem with U factor

@mingbo, @chriswmackey -

There appears to be a bug in Rhino plugin where the U-factor does not change between metric and imperial units.

1. Snips that describe issue are below. Should value listed in name of material represent the U factor or U value? As you can see the value called out in name does not match listed U value or U factor. It looks like the metric value is carried over to the IP side.
  2. If I want to create glazing with target U factor, should I override U factor value with target IP value, for example, U=1.2? Or should I enter the metric equivalent until bug is corrected?
  3. Would it be possible to expose the interior and exterior film coefficients and maybe COG vs frame performance that are being used to calculate the Ufactor? That would provide transparency.

Metric

Imperial

An example from IES, they call U factor (inclusive of film coefficients) the “net U value”. I’d expect in Pollination the glazing assembly U factor should match the value called out in the name. In snip below this is “U=0.5”.

Hi @victorbrac,

I fixed the unit conversion issue between IP and SI.
Meanwhile, I am also improving all UIs to provide description of each inputs:

1 Like

Cool! perhaps, add film coefficient assumptions? so U value >> U factor conversion is transparent?

Did this version get pushed to public?

@chriswmackey might be a better person to answer this, but right now we use the same value for air film of all materials.

A new version should be ready in a couple of hours.

Hey @victorbrac and @mingbo ,

If the Rhino plugin is using the LBT core libraries to get the U-factor of the Window Constructions then this statement isn’t totally correct:

If you see here in the docs of the core libraries you’ll see that both the inside and outside film coefficients come from ISO 10292:

honeybee_energy.construction.window.WindowConstruction.in_h_simple

The exterior coefficient is a constant 23 W/m2-K, which comes from an assumption of an outdoor wind speed around 6.7 m/s. However, the interior coefficient is a function of the inside emissivity of the construction, following this formula here:

If we want to just put a note in the Rhino plugin that the R/U Values/Factors follow the ISO 10292 standard as well as NFRC 100-2010, I’d be fine with that.

1 Like

Thanks for explanation Chris. Could the actual calculated film coefficients be listed as well? Similar to snip above I included from IES.

1 Like

Hey @victorbrac ,

I just wanted to say that showing the film coefficient resistance is a really good idea for an App that I have in mind that would enable you to test out individual window constructions under various different conditions and would look a lot like the IES window there. But this might be a little overkill for the table of all the different materials or constructions, which already has a lot of information in it and is really meant for a high-level comparison. Maybe we’ll put this into the plugin eventually.

1 Like

hi @mingbo , hello @chriswmackey

Picking up on this thread,
I am a bit confused as to why the specs don’t correspond to the name of the material:
U 1.3 while UFactor appears at 7.38. The difference shouldn’t be this large.

Do you know if this was supposed to be resolved?

Furthermore, is there a way in RhinoPlugin to create my a material with a specific U value and SHGC ? The only way I see is to specify explicitly the construction materials until the specs match, but it’s trial and error and not so convenient.

Best,
Olivier

Hi @olivierdambron

Those U values in the name of window materials are in IP unit.

Furthermore, is there a way in RhinoPlugin to create my a material with a specific U value and SHGC ?

Have you tried to use the simple window material?

3 Likes

@mingbo thank you for your answers! They solve all my concerns.

@mingbo @chriswmackey

I went to check Metric or Imperial and 2 things remain. here is a video to show what I mean :

• the information box at the bottom does not update the text as I switch from Metric to Imperial.
  • :warning: the Metric and Imperial units are inverted.
    U Value in Metric should be 1.3 W/m2·K
    U value in Imperial should be 7.38 Btu/h·ft2·F
    I wouldn’t know the cascade of consequences this has on the tool itself, which one is being actually considered.

Hi @olivierdambron,

The bottom information box only shows the definition of the selected material above and they are all defined in metric (except the name). Switching the “display units” won’t affect the material definition, and the imperial value is calculated based on the matric value.

I know these are confusing, but those materials are defined by NREL if I am not mistaken (@chriswmackey please correct me). So they use imperial value in the materials name but kept all property values in metric. Hope this helps.

hi @mingbo

I understand for the bottom information box.

However the information showing on the left, above where you can choose Metric or Imperial.
That is where it seems that units are inverted.

I’m just confirming that you are correct here, @mingbo .

The IDs (or EnergyPlus names) of those constructions come originally from the US Dept of Energy Commercial Reference Buildings. Back when they originally made those sample models as a standard for other energy modelers, they put in all of their biases towards the IP system when they were naming them. Long story short, they are just IDs and the actual properties of the objects are visible in the nice tabular UI that @mingbo built, which is responsive to the SI/IP switch. Maybe at, some point, they will update the IDs to include both the SI and IP values but, knowing how slow the US is to update its units of measurement, I would not hold my breath.

1 Like

Hi @olivierdambron, I don’t think so, please see the following screenshots:

Metric property values:

Imperial ID names:

1 Like

Thank you @mingbo you’re absolutely right, sorry I got confused.