Rhino plugin slows down

Hi all,

We are considering jumping into Pollination as an extension with our Ladybug Tools-based workflow, and as a result we are semi-live testing the Pollination Rhino plugin now on a large project, which we have started: imagine 650+ rooms according to the room list, thermal zone-wise it is going to be much less hopefully, but we are not there yet. We are facing some serious slowdown in viewport performance at the first steps.

This is how I can make Rhino struggle

  1. Assign rooms to the geometry.
  2. Close Rhino and open it again (maybe next day).
  3. The model opens up being “slowed down”, even with only a few rooms in the model. By this I mean really poor viewport performance when navigating.
  4. I suspect Pollination is the culprit here, because when I add apertures via the UI, the model speeds back up until geometry is selected and the command is applied.

The “clean” Rhino model is really light there is no problem during editing at all.
If I use PO_RemoveProperties to clear all the rooms and apertures, the model speeds up again to the expected level.

I think we have sufficient hardware not to experience such slowdown, but I might be mistaken.
PC config: AMD Ryzen 5900X (12c @ 3.70 GHz), 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB, Win10 Pro x64

Also worth noting, that we use Google Drive to store files, I had some problems with cloud service providers previously.

Since the model is large and confidential, I wouldn’t want to upload it publically, is there a way to get it to you privately to test, if you see the same symptoms? The Rhino model was modelled by a colleague, I looked into it for troubleshooting, it looks fine overall for the stage of the project.

The idea was to use Pollination for model management, but if we face such slowdown without tinkering too much, we might be better off backing out now to do the project in GH with LBT, until we haven’t started specifying details - but I’m not sure, since I’m new to Pollination. Yes, ideally a smaller project would be a better playground, but the advantages of Pollination (and especially the Rhino plugin) would be extremely useful for this one.

Any ideas what could be wrong based on my description?

Hi @furtonb,

Thank you for documenting this.

I have worked with models with +750 rooms with the Rhino plugin with no issues. You can send a private message on Discourse and share the link to the model with us.

If it is not too much to ask, can you also record a short video and show the steps to recreate the slowness problem that you mentioned above? I’m not sure if I follow all the steps here.

2 Likes

Thanks @mostapha , I’ve just sent you a PM.

Thank you! For anyone who might be following this conversation, I had a look at the model and I suspect it has to do with some visualization settings on your end. I had no issues working with the model. I shared a recording with you in the post.

1 Like

I think you were right, I can’t replicate the slowdown after changing the Display Mode lighting setting to the one you suggested under Options -> View -> Display Modes.
I had a “Custom lighting” that was changed to this setup:

image

You also highlighted in the private discussion, that transparency in the Pollination render settings could be a suspect:

image

Changing this to 0 has an impact on the navigation speed too.

All this was experienced on Windows 10, with this Rhino build:

Version 7 SR19
(7.19.22165.13001, 2022-06-14)

+2 life hacks:

  • use the PO_CheckGeometryAdjacency command to fix a few cases in your model where the geometries don’t align correctly.
  • use PO_ValidateModel to find further issues in desperate need of a fix.

Thanks for the quick help, it saved me quite some hair on my head! :slight_smile:

2 Likes