Support for linked models

Hi @mostapha, can you clarify what isn’t supported with linked models? I’ve discovered that the enclosure is a linked model to my architecture Revit model. Does this mean I won’t be able to get the windows in Pollination because they live in a linked model?

Yes. Unfortunately, with the current version, we only source the data from the host model. That means you have to bind the linked models into the host model to be able to access those elements.

As I mentioned, we are currently working on this limitation so you can access the elements from the linked models without binding the models.

Binding the model is proving to be a problem due to the size of the project. Do you have an estimate on when linked models will be supported in Pollination? Is it a near term or long term addition?

It is near term. @ksobon is actively working on it.

1 Like

@justinshultz we have an alpha version of this that is going through testing now. It will be available as soon as possible. Apologies for the delay.

1 Like

@justinshultz, I sent a message with a link and information to test the developer version. Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Hi @mostapha , I downloaded the trial version of the Revit plug in to test it out and see if it could save me some time modeling, as I too have a pretty large model that I will be using for Daylight calculations.

It is made up of many linked models, will my only option be to bind them together?

This is a model of an airport, having a lot of atriums and open spaces, as well as many double curved ceiling panels. Would that pose a problem for the model extraction, and do you have any tips or recommendations?

Thank you!

Hristo

Hi, @hristo! I just added you to the discussion where you can download the dev version that supports linked models so you can give it a try.

The Revit plugin parses the geometry from rooms and/or spaces. As long as they are defined correctly, you should be able to export a clean model. This might not be an optimized workflow for daylight simulation since you don’t really need the rooms but it should work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I made a soft release of version 2.101.1 which includes support for linked models. You can download them from the download page for the plugins.

As usual, the credits for making it happen goes to @ksobon! Thank you.

1 Like