Annual energy Simulation

Hi @mostapha,
After getting validation for my model and running the simulation, I got this error:

I am wondering how I can track the surface/zones to double check them for issue solving.

Thanks,

Hi @mahagh, Thank you for sharing the issue here. Can you update your Rhino to the latest version that was released today and try again? I was able to run the simulation for your model after downloading it from here.

Updating to the latest version of the Rhino plugin should also fix the issue that you are facing when you are trying to run the simulation on the cloud.

The error is still there but the simulation finishes successfully.

I’m copying @chriswmackey here so he is aware of the case.

Thanks @mostapha for prompt response.

I installed the latest version 1.31.26 (probably) from here, but still get the same error! Am I on the right track with the plugin version?

Maybe should not mention it here, but I also tried to run the model just with LBT in GH but the aperture ratio component has the error of “1. Solution exception:Attempted to divide by zero.” for all floors except the first one.

I do not know if the issue is about the geometry!! :roll_eyes:

Thanks,

Yes. That’s the correct version. Which error are you referring to? The error on Pollination or when you try to run it locally?

I’m not sure if I follow this one. Why would you need to use the aperture ratio component when you have the apertures already assigned inside Rhino?

@mahagh, I used this script to find the geometries with very small areas. There are at least two cases that you may want to have a closer look.

The first one is the area between these 4 rooms.

And the second one is the tiny difference between FP02_Office and FP03_Office.

You can fix both of them with MoveEdge and MoveFace commands. Make sure to use the PO_RebuildRooms command to merge the coplanar face first and then start fixing the model.

Technically, since the simulation still runs successfully, at least on my end, I would not consider these as validation errors but let’s see what @chriswmackey thinks about it.

Maybe we should add a new command to find surfaces with smaller areas than a threshold similar to what I did using Grasshopper.

Yes. That’s the correct version. Which error are you referring to? The error on Pollination or when you try to run it locally?

Both are still unsuccessful. However, after bringing the model to GH and parametrizing the simulation with WWR, I got the results for all conditions successfully!

I’m not sure if I follow this one. Why would you need to use the aperture ratio component when you have the apertures already assigned inside Rhino?

To run parametric analysis.

This is really strange! I’m unsure how to debug this. We can set up a call and try to review your model together if it happens again with other models. I’m glad that it worked for the parametric study.

Thank you.
I should add that I did not went through all the small surfaces to solve their issue though.

Hey @mahagh ,

Those messages from EnergyPlus are not errors. They are just warnings and these particular warnings are safe to ignore as long as you model passes validation.

If you want to know the full story of what is happening, the geometry engine that underlies EnergyPlus is not the best. Or it’s at least not as robust as all of the geometry routines that we have built into Pollination and Ladybug Tools, where we have things like an adjustable model tolerance. So, even though EnergyPlus can’t tell that the Room volume is closed, Pollination can and, if you aren’t getting and validation errors about non-solid rooms, then you can ignore what EnergyPlus is telling you here.