Curved aperture on curved surface

@mostapha

In one of my initial queries, you resolved how I can register a room with a curved surface in pollination. I am trying to create an aperture on that surface.
I was partially successful but would like your opinion on creating a seamless curved aperture on the curved surface.

Please find Reference File for your review.

Hi @upawarcannon,

Thank you for sharing the sample file. It is very helpful!

Unfortunately, because of the geometry rules in EnergyPlus, the edge of a sub-face like an aperture/window cannot touch the edge of the host face like a wall. That said you don’t need to offset the geometry too much. It can be 1 cm and it should work. You can use Rhino’s Scale1D command to do that quickly. You can also adjust the heights to keep the area exactly the same if that is important for you. In many cases, this small adjustment doesn’t make a noticeable difference.

Here is a video that shows how you can use the Scale1D command. I put a factor of 0.99 and scaled the apertures from the center.

Make sure the room selection is set to off so you can select the apertures directly.

1 Like

@mostapha
That worked well.
Model now has validated geometry but the configure run_ create study button is looping and not running a simulation. Both on cloud or locally. Unable to go beyond this step

All the required inputs have been assigned. It did not ask me for sim_par in any of the earlier simulations. I wonder if that is obstructing the study from running.

Hi @upawarcannon - sorry about it! It is on us. This is the result of a new feature that we rolled out for alias inputs. We had a backup plan but that also didn’t work as expected. I rolled back the changes. If you sign out and sign back in from inside the panel, you should see the older UI and should be able to run the studies without an issue.

@mostapha
I am able to run the analysis now.

Thank you

Hi @upawarcannon @mostapha, you can also use the command PO_OffsetChildObjects to scale the apertures.

1 Like

Hi, @mingbo! You’re right! I totally forgot that we can use it for the case that the aperture is touching the edge of the parent face. That makes the process much faster actually.

@upawarcannon, here is a video for your model. Sorry for not remembering this one when I checked your model. :sweat:

1 Like

@mostapha : No problem. That method was quick too
@mingbo : Thank you for the update. very helpful

1 Like