DetailedHVAC Component does not apply Ironbug system

Hi @justinshultz, glad that it worked out. @mingbo and I were worried that we hit a bug in the OpenStudio SDK that we can’t get around it. It was a relief to know that wasn’t the issue.

This is a good problem to have! :smiley: It reminds me of the time that we figured out how to run large parametric studies and then we didn’t know how to make sense of the results. That challenge resulted in building the design explorer UI.

I have that discussion bookmarked since you posted it. I was trying to hold back and see what others think but I think I should give it a go! :slight_smile:

I agreed with you on putting a document together on best practices. At the same time, I think our approach should be to allow people to build models as large as they want and then provide routines to simplify the model automatically based on criteria like the same orientation and program type.

I imagine you are aware of the PO_MergeRooms command but you are looking for automated solutions that can be applied to the whole model or per floor.

I really like the idea of having routines for simplifying the model automatically. This aligns well with the Pollination model we would be getting out of Revit too, as simplification could be automated. I’m thinking of future workflows where our engineers would use Revit Pollination and the Web app to run their load calculations.

Yes, I am aware of PO_MergeRooms but the process is destructive. Unmerging the rooms later would be time intensive. I would love a process where I could keep the rooms separate for engineering load calculations and then simplified for annual energy simulations.

1 Like

That is the goal! It will take some time but we will get there, eventually.

Makes sense! This needs the implementation of a new concept in the schema. Let us think about it and see what would be the best approach here.

cc: @chriswmackey and @mingbo

Thanks @justinshultz for letting us know it worked well on your side. I may continue to optimize the code in Ironbug for a big model like this size.