Export Model - Revit Doors Not Showing in Apertures

Hi all - I’m a newbie here so happy if there is an easy answer to this. I’ve gone through the youtube playlist including the new UI updates.

Maybe the simple question is: How do I ensure doors / windows get discovered as apertures? I have some door types that get discovered, but none that I actually want.

As an example, these are the only two doors that show up as available to select:

However, I have many different door types that don’t appear in this dropdown. Thoughts?

1 Like

At the moment not all Doors will be included in that list. Only doors that are modeled as a Curtain Wall Doors, so they can be placed inside of Curtain Walls.

@mostapha do we want to expand this list to ALL DOORS? That could be a lot of door types per project.

I guess it makes sense that there is a section for CW doors, I guess I just mean I would expect normal doors to also have a dropdown atleast somewhere. I’m also having issues getting skylights to appear as well…not sure that’s the same issue tho.

@corymosiman12 I don’t know how to help with skylights unless I can see the model. Please post a link to a sample file, and we can have a look at it. Really quickly though. Are skylights modeled as Windows? Are they inserted into a Roof? Is that roof object used to generate the room object? That would be the case if you are using the Detailed geometry mode. In extruded mode, roofs do not participate in that process, and you won’t get skylights.

@ksobon, I think if we want to include it, it should be in its own category. Similar to Windows vs Curtain Wall Panels.

@corymosiman12, can you elaborate more on why do you want to include these doors in your model? Are they glazed?

I suspect you’re using the extruded floors mode for extracting the model. That might also explain why you don’t see the doors in your model. The doors will be picked up automatically if you use the Full Volume.

Doors and Skylights are not currently supported when you use Area Plans or Extruded Floors. They will be included if you use the Full Volume method for the geometry extraction.

That said, @chriswmackey has already added support for doors and skylights to the underlying schema. That means we should be able to add them to the Revit plugin for Area Plans and Extruded Floors.

@corymosiman12, can you elaborate more on why do you want to include these doors in your model? Are they glazed?

For our current use case, it’s important that we match the geometrical representation as much as possible.

I suspect you’re using the extruded floors mode for extracting the model. That might also explain why you don’t see the doors in your model. The doors will be picked up automatically if you use the Full Volume.

Ok, very cool, that solved a lot of my issues actually. I’m currently going through and QA/QC’ing.

• Skylights are coming through well
  • All doors coming through

I had this one strange thing with a garage door that I wanted to get your take on. It looks like:

Notice the # text attached to the object. If I leave as is, the doors come through looking like:

However, if I deselect the Door Number visibility,

It comes through nicely:

Anyways, I’m not sure if that is expected behavior, but just thought I’d document it.

I just wanted to say I really appreciate this plugin. After dealing with Revit’s default gbXML export (which was awful), the functionality in this model export is a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

Hi @corymosiman12,

Excellent! Just keep in mind that you should be able to do the same within the extruded plans mode in the near future. In most models, it takes additional work to get the Full Volume ready to export.

Thank you for sharing this. This is how the plugin works right now. It basically takes all the visible parts of a door or an aperture, projects it to the host face, and tries to find the bounding polygon around it. It is not the most efficient solution but it has been reliable.

For apertures, we have additional filtering based on the material.

I don’t know if we can use a similar idea here. @ksobon is the right person to make the call.

I’m clearly biased but I know that feeling! :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for sharing and glad that the plugin didn’t disappoint.

1 Like

@mostapha we could do the same with Doors. Do you want to add a seperate tab for Doors and break it down with materials as well? We already handle some doors (Curtain Wall Doors) under Apertures, so we would be extending this to all Doors. Is that a new step, or do we cover that under apertures?

@ksobon - good to know!

I would make this a separate step. It will be great to have control also not to include them! In many cases, for energy modeling, removing the interior doors is actually a great option to have.

@rwdhope was also asking for better control of the doors and being able to include them in the extruded model. We have already added support for doors and skylights to the Dragonfly schema which should make it possible to implement it in Revit too.