Improving aperture export from Revit model when Revit model has separation lines at exterior of building

Hello -

There are many cases where a room or space separation line may limit ability to export apertures from Revit. One example is when an external architectural element is not room bounding and a separation line is used as a workaround.

What do you think about a potential solution to “project” apertures to dfjson/hbjson surface that represents external wall? Similar to fix the current fix in Rhino?

Or when separation lines are outside of wall, could dfjson export recognize apertures that are within the room volume?

Preview of how glazing is supposed to look:

Example referencing the revit sample model where this a “project” would be useful since separation line is just inside of wall:

Another example from same model when I’ve moved separation line outside of building.
hbjson - picked up apertures:

dfjson - did not pick up both apertures, is this a bug?

@victorbrac generally I would say do not use Room Separation lines. Any Room face generated from a Room Separation line will not have any information about what doors/windows might be hosted in it. If you can, only use Room Separation lines for things like wall openings or air boundaries.

Thank you, @ksobon! So basically, we can only identify the apertures if the room bounding element is the wall. Otherwise, the wall and the aperture inside it get lost in the process. Now I understand the limitation better.

We should definitely work on some more forgiving workflows to minimize the amount of work that is needed for clean up. I will write a longer post on Basecamp. @chriswmackey also has some ideas to improve this.