Louvers aperture shading type appear inside when "inside = no"

Hi all!

I followed the video " Add Shade or Context" from Rhino Geometry, and when I put louvers on the aperture, they appear inside when"indoor = no" and outside when “outside = yes”.

Not such a big deal so far, even though it should modify a bit the heat transmitted to the room, but I wanted to know if there is a way to correct this?

Thank you very much.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hi @loicw,

Thank you for reporting this. This is a tricky one as the Rhino UI is not really aware of the location of the shade unless it is a building shade or an aperture shade. I agree that this can be really confusing.

I assigned this one to @mingbo so he can share his thoughts. Meanwhile it will be helpful if you can share a simple example with us.

Hi @loicw, the setting for indoor vs outside is only meaningful for apertures that have been added to a room. Otherwise, you will have to ensure the aperture’s normal which is used for generating indoor/outdoor shades.

Hi @mostapha and @mingbo,

Thank your for your time and answers !

Indeed, the aperture’s normal are all pointed to the inside of the rooms, for every room.
I imported the model from pollination’s Revit plug-in, the apertures were already part of the model.

The things is that if I flip the aperture’s normal, the room is not recognized anymore:

Here is the model : WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free
I flipped the apertures of the room “Living 106” ” in case you would like to have a look.

Thank you again.
Best.

Hi @loicw, Thank you for reporting this. This looks like a bug.

@mingbo, I checked the model and the apertures are facing inwards. Doesn’t the Rhino plugin automatically fixes the normal direction for the aperture?

@mingbo, I checked the model and the apertures are facing inwards. Doesn’t the Rhino plugin automatically fixes the normal direction for the aperture?

So Rhino plugin only tries to fix apertures’ normal when they are adding to a room. However, after apertures are added to rooms, users can edit or change the aperture’s normal, and the rhino plugin won’t complain about it.

Hi @loicw, did you use our clean sample to create this model? or using one of the completed models and making editions on top of it? I will need to know how this model was created with these wrong aperture normals, and try to replicate this issue on our side.

1 Like

Since the inward-facing apertures are not technically invalid in HBJSON I think your approach makes sense. That said, we probably need a command to allow the user to recompute the geometry to fix such issues for models that are created outside the Rhino plugin.

I believe the model is created using the Revit plugin which doesn’t check for the normal direction. The fix happens during the translation of the HBJSON file to simulation models. It’s fine there but it can be really confusing for users inside the Rhino plugin. That’s why I’m suggesting adding a new command to help users to fix such cases.

@mingbo I imported the model from revit using the pollination plug-in.
The revit model was the “cleaned” one from https://archi-lab.net/honeybee-meets-revit/ " Revit 2020 – Basic Sample Model (cleaned)"

When I tried to edit the aperture’s normal, the rhino plugin doesn’t seem to complain, however in grasshopper the “pollination room” module doesn’t seem recognize the room anymore.

1 Like

Thanks @loicw for clarifying, I think I will add a normal check for apertures for importing process. I will keep you updated once a new version is ready for you to test.

1 Like

Hi @loicw, if there is any chance that you could test it again with our latest developer version that includes this update, please let us know if it works for you.

1 Like