Memory exception for translating the model to Radiance

Hello all,

I am trying to run some Daylight calculations on a model that has a very interesting ceiling, but once I try to translate the model to a Rad folder and waiting for about an hour I get a message telling me:

Runtime error (OutOfMemoryException): Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.

Traceback:
line 690, in _write_static_files, “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\honeybee_radiance\writer.py”
line 299, in model_to_rad_folder, “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\honeybee_radiance\writer.py”
line 75, in script

which prevents me from trying out Pollination. The model in question is smaller than ones I have ran calculations for in the past (around 1GB) but it has some complex ceiling which I have tried to reduce in size and complexity, but still, am not able to pass through a Rad Folder.

I have been dealing with this for over 2 weeks now, but could not find a solution. Is this a case of a too complex model or a not good enough PC (the PC I work on has 64GB of RAM, i7 CPU)?
One thing that came to mind after seeing the error I get is different versions of Python on my machine and LBT, could that be a problem?

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Hristo

Hi Hristo

A guess would be that you are lacking data storage. Go to https://app.pollination.cloud/ > Subscription and find this section.

If that is the case, all you need is to delete some previous jobs and you should be fine.

Hi labrosse,

the problem occurred before running the simulation. I had a tip that it might be geometry related, and am currently testing it.

Thank you for your input and time

Hi, @hristo - can you share the model with us for testing? Without access to the model, it will be really hard to tell.

Hi @mostapha , I am currently exploring one option that was mentioned to me, and if that doesn’t work, I will get back to you.

Thank you

Hello @mostapha ,
I am attaching the geometry that is giving me headaches. I have been trying to remodel it, mesh it, reduce the polygons, but whenever I try to run it through Model to Rad folder, or straight to the recipe, I always get system memory errors.
What do you think will be the best way to deal with such geometry for Daylight studies?

Hristo

Hi, @hristo - do you have a meshed version of the file that I can try? I imagine you are generating way too many mesh faces. Probably the easiest way to handle this model is to save it as an obj file and then use obj2rad command to create the rad file. The model doesn’t have a single planar face in it! :joy: