New installation folder issues

Hi,
I noticed that the installer released yesterday/today (0.148.3) makes the installation in a different location than before. Now it is doing it under C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools. So far so good.
When i tried, after install, to update with the Versioner it gives an error (turns red) complaining about the following:

Runtime error (ValueErrorException): Failed to find C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\temp.

Traceback:
line 31, in download_file_by_name, “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\ladybug_rhino\download.py”
line 168, in download_repo_github, “”
line 260, in script

Failed to create folder: C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\temp
[Errno 13] [Errno 5] Access to the path ‘C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\temp’ is denied.

Downloading “lbt-grasshopper” github repository to: C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\temp

I manually created the temp folder but after that more errors follow.
I need to do something or you need to fix something?

Thanks,
-A.

Hi @ayezioro I found a workaround. If you open rhino as admin and use versioner it will work. Its asking admin privilege to write Data in C/: program files. It worked for me but it should be addressed soon.

1 Like

Hi @asisnath ,
Indeed that works!
And indeed it should be addressed.
-A.

1 Like

@asisnath has the right idea. Here is the longer explanation:

Windows doesn’t allow you to edit or update things in “Program Files” unless you are running them as Administrator. So, if you want to be able to use the LB Versioner in Grasshopper, you have to right-click on Rhino when you open it and select “Run As Administrator”. Then, you shouldn’t have any issues running the Versioner.

I’ll look into seeing if there’s a way to only ask for admin privileges when running the Versioner (without having to open Rhino in Admin mode). At a minimum, I will add a better error message to the Versioner for this case.

Maybe it’s also worth noting that there’s nothing that stops you from installing everything into your User folder if you so desire. We mainly moved the default install location to Program Files to make IT departments happy but you can still install in the old location and everything will work fine.

3 Likes

Thank you, @chriswmackey!

I think that’s a great plan of action.

1. Give a better error message.
  2. Ask anyone who is interested to do the quick update to install them under the user folder.

@mingbo, is this statement also accurate for the Rhino plugin when it looks for the Ladybug Tools resources?

Sounds good and makes sense.
Thanks @chris and @mostapha.
-A.

FYI, I added a better error message in the Versioner that clearly tells you to run Rhino as an Admin.

It would seem that there’s no way to easily ask for admin privileges when the component is run, though. So we’ll just have to get good at remembering to open Rhino as admin whenever we want to run the Versioner.

1 Like