Room Matching Error

Full disclosure, I’m incredibly new, but I’m running into a similar issue to what Jake had back in June with:

Runtime error (AssertionException): None of the Cooling data collections could be matched to the input rooms.

Traceback:
  line 570, in _match_room_input, "C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\honeybee_energy\result\loadbalance.py"
  line 202, in __init__, "C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\honeybee_energy\result\loadbalance.py"
  line 144, in script

I’m basically going through @chriswmackey tutorials on the basics of energy modeling and just substituting the PO_GetModel for the inputs instead of building the whole model inside Grasshopper. I know this isn’t necessarily the intended workflow but I’m trying to get a grasp on all of the components and such.

If I leave the HVAC system as Ideal, then there’s no issue. But if I use an OpenStudio system then it throws the error above.

I like being able to modify the model directly in Rhino and bringing it in as a Pollination Model, but if that’s not the best way to do it, how should I go about it? Was kind of trying to replicate what you did at AECTech 2022 but with some of the other results components.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, @brentwatanabe .

I first wanted to say that you are definitely using an intended workflow here and I’m not sure where you got the impression that bringing the pollination model into Grasshopper for simulation and analysis was not a common workflow. This is what I do for practically all models that I build these days and the only reason why my older tutorial series builds the whole model in Grasshopper is because there are a lot of people out there who have not purchased a Pollination Rhino license and need to do everything with Ladybug Tools. But there’s no doubt in my mind that it’s much easier to build a large energy model in Rhino.

The issue that you’re having with the Thermal Load Balance component is one that has come up a lot on the LBT forum. Here is one of the posts that explains why you can’t match detailed HVAC electricity or fuel to rooms for a load balance:

If you want to always be able to produce a load balance for a model with detailed HVAC, you should use the HB Annual Loads component to run the simulation. That one automatically replaces the detailed HVAC with an “equivalent” Ideal Air System under the hood so that you can always get a sense of the load balance.

1 Like

Mindblown.

As for my impressions…I guess I thought recipes were the answer. But for my simple mind I like to go through all of your content to see what’s what.

I appreciate the rundown along with original post. At this stage I have trouble searching due to a limited knowledge of the topic(s).

Cheers!

1 Like

So…If I’m wanting to calculate Annual Heating Demand for PHIUS, I’d use the component you suggested? It’s been a bit since I hopped into WUFI, and I"m not saying they’re the same, but I seem to recall needing detailed HVAC information and not estimates. Maybe I’m missing the mark. I suppose the Annual Loads is for getting started and at some point I get more detailed results a different way?

I do also see Ed May’s PH plugin that I just installed, so maybe the point is moot.

Thanks again!

You are probably not asking the best person for this since I have never submitted anything for PHIUS but I know that there are a lot of things that you need to to for PHIUS compliance submission that are less about using the most accurate and complete simulation methods and more about making sure that you follow their Excel templates. Generally speaking “heating demand” implies that you’re talking about the heating needs of spaces independent of whatever heating system might be meeting those needs. But I won’t pretend that I know exactly what PHIUS is asking for.

I know that Ed put a lot of work into his honeybee-ph plugin (possibly more so than anyone else who has built a plugin on top of Ladybug Tools). So I would use his plugin and watch his tutorial videos following the instructions he posted here:

And I’m sure that he’ll answer questions that you have if you post them under the honeybee-ph category of the discourse.ladybug.tools forum there.