Using external libraries/software

Hi, apologies if this is covered somewhere, or I missed this in the examples in Github!

For the recipe that @dlynch is building, we will at some point need to process data either with Paraview or a VTK library/package.

Which of these would be the best way to approach this? I assume the second? :slight_smile:

Hi @adammer, Iโ€™m working on the document for writing Recipes and sorry that itโ€™s taking longer than expected.

The short answer is that each command runs inside a [Docker] container and as long as you can create an image for the library you can execute it on Pollination. In your case you can use VTK or ParaViewโ€™s Docker image. The place to set up the image is the Plugin.

Here is the longer answer:

A Recipe is a collection of DAGs and a DAG is a collection of tasks. Each task uses a Function as a template. And each Function is part of a Plugin. When you execute a command - it technically getโ€™s executed inside the Function and the Function uses Pluginโ€™s [Docker] image to execute the task!

This means you need to create a Plugin with those Functions and use the Paraview or VTK docker image for that plugin.

I know that I introduced so many concepts in two paragraphs. Letโ€™s use honeybee-energy as an example. Itโ€™s a plugin that includes several functions for energy simulation Recipes. Here is the repository:

If you check the __init__.py file you will see that the image for this plugin is set to ladybugtools/honeybee-energy.

# this is a facny way to get the version for the docker image
# the results is something like ladybugtools/honeybee-energy:1.69.2
image_id = get_docker_image_from_dependency(
    __package__, 'honeybee-energy', 'ladybugtools'
)

__pollination__ = {
    'config': {
        'docker': {
            'image': image_id,
            'workdir': '/home/ladybugbot/run'
        }
    }
}

This is also reflected on the plugin page on Pollination.

Perfect! I should have checked more recipes :slight_smile:

That should work, then.

1 Like

Not your fault! We should have a better documentation. Iโ€™m half way there. We were not expecting someone to be so brave to want to write a recipe right away! :smile: Thank you for being patient with us. Getting there โ€ฆ