Error when pollinating on local machine

Hi @chriswmackey @mostapha

I’m trying to make a LEED daylight simulation with pollination, i’m trying both on cloud and on my local machine, but when I Pollinate the simulation which should run on my computer, the simulation stops immediatly and pollination gives me the following error.

1. Command:
C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Scripts\queenbee local run "C:\Users\Michele Di Martino\AppData\Local\Temp\Pollination\Recipes\pollination_leed-daylight-option-one-0.0.19" "C:\Users\Michele Di Martino\simulation\Unnamed" -n "Unnamed" -i "C:\Users\Michele Di Martino\simulation\Unnamed\inputs.json" -w 18  --env PATH="C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\bin" --env RAYPATH="C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\lib"
Python path configuration:
  PYTHONHOME = '\\?\C:\Users\Michele Di Martino\.rhinocode\py39-rh8'
  PYTHONPATH = (not set)
  program name = 'C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\python.exe'
  isolated = 0
  environment = 1
  user site = 1
  import site = 1
  sys._base_executable = 'C:\\Program Files\\ladybug_tools\\python\\python.exe'
  sys.base_prefix = '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8'
  sys.base_exec_prefix = '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8'
  sys.platlibdir = 'lib'
  sys.executable = 'C:\\Program Files\\ladybug_tools\\python\\python.exe'
  sys.prefix = '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8'
  sys.exec_prefix = '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8'
  sys.path = [
    'C:\\Program Files\\ladybug_tools\\python\\python310.zip',
    '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8\\DLLs',
    '\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\Michele Di Martino\\.rhinocode\\py39-rh8\\lib',
    'C:\\Program Files\\ladybug_tools\\python',
  ]
Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding
Python runtime state: core initialized
ImportError: bad magic number in 'encodings': b'a\r\r\n'

Current thread 0x000074fc (most recent call first):
  <no Python frame>

Is there something that I missed?

Thank you
Michele

Hi @micheledimartino,

This is similar to the issue that is discussed here:

It is specific to Rhino 8. Can you try to download the latest version of the plugin (v 1.74.3), and see if that resolves the problem?

Alternatively, you can use Rhino 7 instead and everything should work.

Hi Mostapha,

Thanks for your reply. I tried installing the latest version but still gives me the same error.
I don’t have any Rhino 7 license so I’m not able to test if the recipe work on local machine with that version.
Is there any way to fix the problem or do I have to wait for a new release of the Rhino plugin?

Thank you
Michele

Can you have a look and see if you can replicate this issue on your end? We might need some help from Mingbo for setting the Python env.

Hi @mostapha,

It works fine in Rhino 8 with v 1.74.3 when running a recipe locally, but if I drop a Python 3 Script on the canvas I get this error.

1. Command:
C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Scripts\queenbee local run "C:\Users\Mikkel\AppData\Local\Temp\Pollination\Recipes\pollination_leed-daylight-option-one-0.0.30" "C:\Users\Mikkel\simulation\Unnamed" -n "Unnamed" -i "C:\Users\Mikkel\simulation\Unnamed\inputs.json" -w 18  --env PATH="C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\bin" --env RAYPATH="C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\lib"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "\\?\C:\Users\Mikkel\.rhinocode\py39-rh8\lib\runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "\\?\C:\Users\Mikkel\.rhinocode\py39-rh8\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Scripts\queenbee.exe\__main__.py", line 4, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'queenbee'
1 Like

Hi @mikkel and @mostapha

I have some Python 3 Script on my canvas too, maybe this might be the problem on my side as well.

1 Like

Thank you both for testing!

@mingbo, this looks like another case in Rhino 8 in which we need to set the Python path in env variables before running the study. We will see if that solves the problem, otherwise, maybe we should restart the effort to run the studies in containers using Podman!

Check the case for setting up the env variable.

FYI, @micheledimartino ,

If you badly need a workaround until we push the release with the fix, you can always get things to work by just deleting this folder:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\.rhinocode

… and restarting Rhino. That will let you use the “Pollinate” component at least until you drop a new Python 3 component on your canvas.

With this said, @mingbo tends to be pretty fast with these fixes. Unless something comes up, you might just want to hang tight until the new Rhino plugin version gets pushed.

Thanks all, this should be the last bug of this error. It is fixed and will be ready in the next release.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Prepare multiphase takes very long time

The new version of the Rhino plugin (v1.48.3) is released which should solve the original problem.

Hi @mostapha

Thank you for your amazing support.
I installed the last release, but still I keep getting errore messages when pollinating on local machine.

I know have this issue, seems connected to Pollination failing in calling python libraries, but I’m really not an expert on this. I’m pasting only a part of the error message since it’s too many characters.

1. Command:
    C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\Scripts\queenbee local run “C:\Users\miche\AppData\Local\Temp\Pollination\Recipes\pollination_leed-daylight-option-two-0.3.5” “C:\Users\miche\simulation\L00” -n “L00” -i “C:\Users\miche\simulation\L00\inputs.json” -w 30 --env PATH=“C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\bin” --env RAYPATH=“C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\radiance\lib”
    Exception ignored in: <finalize object at 0x1ddd89f76a0; dead>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\weakref.py”, line 591, in call
    return info.func(*info.args, **(info.kwargs or {}))
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\tempfile.py”, line 859, in _cleanup
    cls._rmtree(name, ignore_errors=ignore_errors)
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\tempfile.py”, line 855, in _rmtree
    _shutil.rmtree(name, onerror=onerror)
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\shutil.py”, line 750, in rmtree
    return _rmtree_unsafe(path, onerror)
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\shutil.py”, line 624, in _rmtree_unsafe
    onerror(os.rmdir, path, sys.exc_info())
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\tempfile.py”, line 846, in onerror
    cls._rmtree(path, ignore_errors=ignore_errors)
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\tempfile.py”, line 855, in _rmtree
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\shutil.py”, line 624, in _rmtree_unsafe
    File “C:\Program Files\ladybug_tools\python\lib\tempfile.py”, line 846, in onerror

RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object